Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Zeroing in on du côté en noir

The French, they think it funny that in Britain, you work when there is a need for you;

'Zero-hours workers' expose dark side of UK labour market

At the same time that they admit that this dark side is why they left France for greener pastures;
Tories claim that zero-hours contracts have helped keep the unemployment rate below six percent while boosting the economic recovery. The UK had a growth rate of 2.8% in 2014, way more than France’s anaemic 0.4%.
Clue?
Even Julie [a 21 year-old waitress] admits that there are “good sides” to the zero-hours contracts: “I’m not completely opposed to these contracts. They allow me to easily find a job. I’ve already had five jobs in two months! My employers trust me, they give me responsibilities.”
And more money;
As a zero-hour worker, she also makes more than the four pounds an hour she would receive if she was paid "cash-in-hand".
In France she apparently didn't even have a job, and had to live with her parents. Now that's dark!

No comments:

Post a Comment