Monday, August 11, 2014

Worse than the crime; the blunders

The blunders that always accompany economic central planning are rife in Venezuela's health care sector;
In Venezuela, there are 302 hospitals and 4,618 outpatient facilities. The patient capacity in those hospitals is 45,000 beds, but only 24,000 beds approximately are currently suitable for use, according to the Medical Societies Network.
According to Provea's 2013 report on healthcare, 69% of the operating rooms and 52% of the beds of the 10 most important hospitals in the Metropolitan Area are out of service.
Inauguration of 10 hospitals over 2013 had been announced, but only four hospitals were actually completed. And, out of those four hospitals, three were unable to operate as a result of being short-staffed, not having suitable technology, and lacking medical supplies.
Not because the central planners are ignorant of the problems;
In January 2013, President Maduro launched Mission Efficiency, aimed at following up on projects throughout the country, including those involving the health sector. As many as 512 audits were conducted, and findings show that construction works that had begun in 2010 in six specialized hospitals in five states came to a standstill.

Medical materials and supplies

Shortage of medical supplies and materials in public healthcare facilities throughout the country has reached 50%, according to the Medical Societies Network. Last month alone, shortage rose by 10%, so the actual total next month could very well reach 60%.
Nor is the system free of crime;
Four security plans have been implemented since 2007 to address crimes perpetrated within hospital premises. Cooperatives, community police forces, the Dibese Plan run by militia members and intelligent patrolling services have been in place, but thefts and murders continue to take place in healthcare facilities, also plagued by the presence of armed groups.

Since 2009, murders have taken place within the walls of healthcare establishments. Some are committed by armed bands. Gunfights among criminal groups have also occurred.  So far in 2014, incidents have been reported at University Clinical Hospital, Perez Carreño Hospital, and Vargas Hospital.

1 comment:

  1. If gangs are going to meet for fighting, the best place is the local hospital. It's common sense.