Founded by a group of resistance fighters in 1949 and often open until midnight, La Hune, originally located between the famed Café de Flore and the equally frequented Les Deux Magots in Paris's sixth arrondissement, became a landmark meeting place for France’s intelligentsia. The clientele included some of the country’s greatest writers, politicians and artists. Coco Chanel, Françoise Sagan and François Mitterand were frequent visitors.Tous sont morts, et;
In recent years, however, the shop became the victim of ever-increasing rents as the fashionable Saint-Germain-des-Prés neighbourhood became more and more expensive. In 2012 it was forced to move from its emblematic address on 170 Boulevard Saint-Germain to the nearby 18 Rue de l’Abbaye to make way for a Louis Vuitton store.The most unkindest cut of all. Though this might be worse;
The spot vacated by La Hune in 18 Rue de l’Abbaye will now house a shop specialised in photo reproduction.