McDonald's CEO Steve Easterbrook described the pay hike and other perks as "an initial step" and said he wants to transform McDonald's into a "modern, progressive burger company".From a profitable burger company? That should get the attention of the shareholders;
The first national pay policy announced by McDonald's includes a starting salary that's 1 US dollar above the local minimum wage, and the ability to accrue paid time off. It only applies to workers at company-owned stores, however, which account for about 10% of more than 14,300 locations.Which leaves the 90% of McDonald's owned by franchisees free to operate like normal businessmen in a highly competitive environment. Meaning they have to price their burgers low enough to keep the customers from switching from Big Macs to Whoppers.